I was super excited to run my first 5K this evening, but it was nothing but a disaster. I can not recommend a race hosted by BlackLightRun.com or FoamGlow.com. I feel scammed! Here is my review.
My family of 4 has been looking forward to our first color run for months, but it was nothing but a huge disappointment! Here is how my night went and what I think of this company.
- They asked us to pick up our packets at Sports Authority 1-2 days prior to the event or we’d have to pay another $5.00 per person to pick up our packet on race day! I see why they wanted us to pick up our packets early, but I don’t like how you have to pay $5.00 if you are unable to pickup early.
- Roughly 15,000 people signed up, they were not prepared for 1,000 let alone 15,000. They should have limited the amount of people allowed to sign up.
- There was only 1 parking entrance opened for 15,000 people to enter the Tampa Florida Fairgrounds even though the fairgrounds have several entrances. Many were stuck in traffic for 2-3 hours but were less than a mile from the 5K. I was one of them that should have been on site by 7:20 with regular traffic and we didn’t get parked until 9:55pm! And you know what; There were still people in traffic behind me that may not have gotten in for another 20-30 minutes! Only 1 entrance and no cops directing traffic was a huge fail! Why didn’t they pay to have more entrances opened?
- Once you were in the fairgrounds; no one checked if you were registered. You could easily run the course and never pay.
- Besides the parking attendants; there was no one to help you. I never did find the true start; when we asked someone they said to just jump in line since there was no more powder anyways.
- Not once did we have powder thrown on us, actually there was no powder on the course unless you scraped the ground. The race was supposed to start at 9pm (though they started at 8:45!) and I read several Facebook posts that said the powder was gone by 9:25pm. Unacceptable!
- There were barely any black lights?! The course was very dark and dangerous. And the occasional black light was so crowded with people taking selfies that it was a hazard! Don’t advertise black lights if you only have a few!
- Only a couple port-a-potties; I seen plenty of people walking off course to pee along buildings! YUCK! They made over $375,000 to host this event; rent some potties!
- They claim you’ll be covered with glow powder? I barely had any and what little I had was because I scraped it from the ground and our family used our glow packets on ourselves.
- They advertised food trucks? Only 1 there!
- Water? We were lucky to get 1 water before they ran out. Many never got any water.
- Swag Bag? Nope; nothing! Well, I guess I did get glow tattoo with my packet!
- Event shut down at 11pm.
- When unhappy complaints started pouring in on their Facebook page; they quickly deleted them.
The Tampa event is not the only one with bad reviews. Google is filled with complaints! Just Google for all the Blackrun complaints, scams, and disappointing people!
I hate to give bad reviews; but there was nothing good to say about this experience!
What was your experience? Comment below!