September, October, and November are magical months with fall foliage in full array of colors in the Eastern United States. I will help you find the perfect spot to view the autumn colors.
Beautiful Towns With Stunning Fall Colors
- Asheville, NC area is beautiful year round, but fall colors peak towards mid to late October. If you’re heading towards that area, here are the local fall events! I also found a list of the top 20 picnic areas!
- Greenville, Maine is normally at full peak the last week of September- the first week in October. Here is a list of guided fall foliage hikes in Maine.
- Manchester, VT peaks earlier in October.
- Lake Placid, NY area boasts one of the longest fall foliage seasons in the USA.
- Gatlinburg, TN has roughly 7 weeks of fall colors!
- Branson, MO typically has its grand show in late October, early November.
- Best Fall Getaways In The Southeastern U.S. Written by a dear friend, so check it out, but come back here for more great information!
When Do The Leaves Change Colors?
- Alabama peaks mid to late October.
- Arkansas peaks late October through mid-November.
- Connecticut peaks mid-October through early November.
- Delaware peaks mid-October through early November.
- Florida– You may see a change in the northern parts of Florida the beginning of November.
- Georgia– Late October to early November
- Indiana– Typically peaks the second to third week in October.
- Kentucky– Typically mid- October
- Louisiana– December
- Maine-Late September to late October
- Maryland-Mid-late October
- Massachusetts– Mid- October to early November
- Michigan– Mid September to late October
- Mississippi– Late October to mid-November
- New Hampshire– Late September to late October
- New Jersey– Peaks mid to late October
- New York– Peaks late September to late October
- North Carolina– Peaks early to late October
- Ohio– Mid October to early November
- Pennsylvania– Late September to early November
- Rhode Island peaks in October
- South Carolina-Peaks October to early November
- Tennessee– Mid September to late November
- Vermont– Mid-September and extends into late October
- Virginia– Mid to late October
- West Virginia peaks late September to late October.
- Wisconsin– Mid-late October
Fall Foliage Road Trips
- Alabama’s Top 10 Country Roads
- Arkansas’ Scenic Byways
- Connecticut’s Scenic Drives
- Delaware’s top 5 drives
- Georgia’s Best Scenic Drives
- Indiana’s 10 Best Scenic Drives
- Kentucky’s Best Scenic Drives
- Maine’s Scenic Byways
- Maryland’s Scenic Byways
- Massachusetts’ Scenic Byways
- Michigan’s Top Scenic Drives and I’d love to drive the Tunnel of Trees someday!
- Michigan’s Upper Peninsula
- Mississippi’s Top 10 Scenic Drives
- New Hampshire Scenic Drives
- New Jersey’s Best Fall Hikes
- New York Scenic Drives
- North Carolina’s Scenic Byways (PDF)
- Ohio’s Scenic Fall Drives
- Pennsylvania’s Scenic Drives
- Rhode Island By Car
- South Carolina’s Scenic Drives
- Tennessee’s Scenic Drives
- Vermont’s Scenic Drives (PDF)
- Virginia’s Scenic Fall Drives
- West Virginia Scenic Mountain Road Trips
- Wisconsin- 11 scenic drives
Fall Foliage by Water
- Bear Mountain Cruise sails from New Your City, and offers a 50% military discount.
- Belle of Louisville– Sails from Louisville, KY
- Connecticut River Expeditions sails from Haddam, CT.
- DC Cruises sails from Washington DC.
- Essex Steam Train & Riverboat in Essex, CT.
- Hardy Boat Cruises sails from New Harbor, Maine.
- Hudson River Cruises offers an 8-day cruise and sails from New York City, NY.
- Lady Katharine Cruises sails from Haddam, CT.
- Maine Windjammer Association, North America’s largest fleet of historic schooners.
- Mount Washington Cruises offers scenic cruises in Laconia, NH
- New York Foliage Rides– Information on boats, airplanes, and hot air balloons.
- Seastreak departs from NYC and NJ.
- Southern Belle Riverboat in Chattanooga, TN is a fun way to see the fall colors.
Fall Foliage By Air
- Asheville Treetops Adventure Park– Asheville, NC
- Asheville Zipline Canopy Adventures– Asheville, NC
- Balloons Over New England– Hot air balloon rides in Quechee, VT
- Boar’s Head Ballooning offers rides in Charlottesville, Virginia.
- Blue Sky Balloons– Poughkeepsie, NY
- Bretton Woods Canopy Tour offers a great zip-line course in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire.
- Cannon Aerial Tramway allows you see 4 states and Canada! Located in New Hampshire.
- French Broad Ziplines– Asheville, NC
- High 5 Ballooning offers hot air balloon rides in Derry, NH.
- Hot air balloon rides in Massachusetts.
- Hot Fun Balloons offers hot air balloon rides in southern Maine.
- Hunter Mountain Scenic Skyride offers chairlift rides in Hunter, NY.
- Katahdin Air Service offer seaplane flights in Millinocket, Maine.
- Mammoth Cave Adventures– Zipline, Tarzan swing, drop tower, and horseback riding in Cave City, KY
- Monticello Country Ballooning in Charlottesville, VA.
- Mount Snow Scenic Chairlifts in West Dover, Vermont
- Nantahala Gorge Canopy Tours– Western North Carolina (Has KidZip where younger kids can zipline)
- Navitat Canopy Adventures– Asheville, NC
- Navitat Zipline Adventure Park– Knoxville, TN
- NOC’s Mountaintop Zip Line Tour– Bryson City, NC
- New York Helicopter tours New York City.
- Liberty Flights Hot Air Balloons in Milford, NH
- Loon Mountain Gondola Rides in Lincoln, NH
- Pigeon River Canopy Tours– Eastern Tennessee
- Red River Appalachian Zip-line Tours– Mariba, KY
- Stratton Mountain Gondola Rides– Stratton Mountain, Vermont.
- The Gorge Zipline Canopy Tour– Saluda, NC
- White Face Gondola Rides in Lake Placid, NY.
- Wildcat Mountain Ziplines in Notch, NH.
Fall Foliage Train Rides
- Adirondack Scenic Railroad– NY stations
- America By Rail offers a 9-day trip departing from Chicago.
- Autumn Foliage Train Tours– Throughout the Eastern USA
- Big South Fork Scenic Railway– Stearns, KY
- Blue Ridge Scenic Railway– Blue Ridge, GA
- Cafe Lafayette Dinner Train– North Woodstock, NH
- Cape Cod Central Railroad– Hyannis MA & Buzzards Bay, MA.
- Conway Scenic Railroad– North Conway Village, N.H
- Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad– Locations across Ohio
- Essex Steam Train & Riverboat in Essex, CT.
- Great Smoky Mountain Railroad– Bryson City, NC
- Green Mountain Railroad– Throughout Vermont and New York
- Hobo Harvest Time Express – Lincoln, NH
- Incline Railway– Lookout Mountain, TN & Chattanooga, TN
- Kiski Junction Railroad– Schenley, PA
- Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway– Jim Thorpe, PA
- My Old Kentucky Dinner Train-Bardstown, KY
- OC&T Railroad– Titusville, PA
- Potomac Eagle Scenic Railroad in Romney, WV.
- Railroad Museum Of New England located in Thomaston, CT.
- Strasburg Railroad– Ronks, PA
- Tennessee Valley Railroad– Chattanooga, TN
- The Mount Washington Cog Railway in Bretton Woods, NH.
- Tioga Central Railroad– Wellsboro, PA
- Western Maryland Railroad– Cumberland, Maryland
- Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad– Meredith, NH
- Wisconsin Scenic Train Rides– Throughout Wisconsin
Fall Foliage by Bus, Cart, or hike
- Adventure Events In Kentucky
- Asheville, NC scenic picnics
- Asheville, NC Waterfalls
- Asheville, NC Waterfall Fall Foliage Photos & Info
- Asheville, NC roadside waterfalls
- Asheville, NC Best Trails
- Best places to see fall foliage in South Carolina
- Central Park Pedicab Tour– New York City
- Covered Bridges & Fall Foliage Tour-Frederick, MD
- Fall Foliage Sightseeing Tour from Boston
- Hike Kentucky
- Hike Vermont
- Indiana’s Top 10 Scenic Areas
- Kolo Bike Park– 4 miles of biking jumps, turns, and adventure riding in Asheville, NC
- Louisville Horse Trams– Louisville, KY
- Mammoth Cave Adventures– Horseback riding in Cave City, KY
- New York Scenic Hikes
- Pigeon Jeep Tours– Eastern Tennessee
- The Little Wine Bus – Wine and vivid trees! Departs from New Your City.
- Trolley de “Ville– Trolley in Louisville, KY
- Western Kentucky Botanical Gardens – Owensboro, KY
- Wisconsin hikes with picture perfect views.
Fall Festivals & Oktoberfest
- Apple Butter Festival-Berkeley Springs, WV
- Apple Butter Makin Festival-Tyro, VA
- Asheville, NC Fall Events– Over 40 events in September and October
- Autumn Harvest Festival / Roadkill Cook-off in Marlinton, WV.
- Bridge Day is a BASE jumping event in WV.
- Brown County, Indiana Pumpkin Patches & Farmer’s Markets
- Brushy Mountain Apple Festival in Wilkesboro NC.
- Georgia Apple Festival– Ellijay, Georgia
- Graves Apple Harvest– Syria, Virginia
- Heritage Harvest Festival at Monticello– Charlottesville, VA
- Kentucky Fall Events
- Killington Hay Festival in Killington, Vermont.
- Maryland Fall Events
- Mountain State Forest Festival in West VA
- Music City Food and Wine Festival in Nashville, TN.
- National Apple Harvest Festival in Pennsylvania is held the first two weekends in October.
- New Hampshire Pumpkin Festival in Laconia, NH.
- North Carolina Apple Festival– Hendersonville, NC
- North Carolina Pecan Harvest Festival– Whiteville NC
- Pennsylvania Fall Events
- South Carolina Apple Festival– Westminster, SC
- Unicoi County Apple Festival– Erwin, TN
- Virginia Fall Events
- West Virginia’s Best Of Fall There are so many they need a whole web page for them!
- Winchester, VA– has an apple harvest festival, a pumpkin festival, and a bakery festival
- Wisconsin Festivals
- World Champion Punkin Chunkin in Nassau, DE.
Oktoberfest is always fun!
- Charlotte, NC Oktoberfest
- Columbus Oktoberfest in Ohio
- Helen, GA Oktoberfest
- Myrtle Beach Oktoberfest
- Richmond, VA Oktoberfest
- Savannah, GA Oktoberfest
Love your apps?
- Ink Cards allows you to create and send cards while you’re on your trip. Prices start at about $2.00 with shipping included! Available for Apple devices and Android.
- Postagram allows you to create and send postcards from your fabulous trip! Available for Apple products & Android.
- Leaf Peepr for Apple devices & Android.
- The Ultimate Drive for Apple devices
- TripAdvisor has several apps for Apple, Android, and tablets.
Looking for some photo tips?
- 12 Fantastic Fall Photo Tips
- How to Find and Capture Autumn’s Spectacular Show
- Photographing Fall Colors – Tips & Tricks for Better Color (Video)
- A Detailed Guide to Photographing Fall Foliage
Here are a few coloring pages for the artist in your life-
- Collection of Leaves
- I Like Fall leaves
- Fall leaves & Trees Coloring Printables
- Adult Coloring pages
Fall Tips, Tricks, and Education
- Why do leaves change color?
- How To Preserve Leaves
- How to do leaf printing.
- Leaf Hunt- Gathering & Sorting.
- How To Make Your Home Smell Like Fall
- Salt Dough Crafts & Ornaments
- Learn To Paint Fall Leaves
- Fall Science Experiments
- Autumn Porch Decorating Ideas
- Fall Leaf Preschool Printables
- 70 Autumn Science Activities for Kids
Autumn Food & Drinks
- Marble Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Fall-Inspired Paleo Pumpkin Muffins
- The BEST Apple Crisp recipe Ever!
- CINNAMON APPLE BREAD
- Awesome Country Apple Fritter Bread
- APPLE PIE FRIES
- APPLE PIE BITES
What are the foliage colors I may see?
Bald Cypress– Orange/red
Birch: Bright yellow
Black Maple: Bright yellow
Black Tupelo– Red, orange, purple, and yellow.
Hickory: Golden bronze
Japanese Maple-Reddish purple
Oaks: Brown or russet
Poplar: Golden yellow
Red Maple– Deep red
Sassafras- Deep orange, scarlet, purple, and yellow.
Sourwood– Yellow, red, or purple.
Sugar Maple– Orange/red
Sweetgum– Yellow, purple, red.
And for your viewing pleasure; Southeast U.S Fall Road Trips-
Infographic courtesy of BedAndBreakfast.com.